DELICIOUS dairy-free, low-calorie, SUPER EASY whole wheat chocolate carrot muffins!
today, for one reason to another, i wanted to make something with carrots, and this definitely satisfied that desire. these muffins come out beautifully fluffy, not too sweet, and are surprisingly filling for their low caloric value.
1/3 slightly heaped cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup almond oil (or grapeseed, or even vegetable)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup carrots, coarsely grated
1) preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit and line a muffin pan with 12 paper liners.
2) in a bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. set aside.
3) in another, smaller bowl, lightly beat the eggs. stir in agave, oil and vanilla until well combined.
4) add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined, and then gently fold in carrots. the batter will be fairly wet/viscous/liquid-y; don’t worry, this is correct!
5) divide batter into prepared muffin cups (it’ll be about half full in each muffin cup) and bake for 15 minutes.
- these come out to about 100 calories a pop (or 3 weight watchers points each).
- the carrots add a great texture without being too too noticeable.
- you may wish to instead make mini-muffins, since the muffins only rise about 3/4 of the way up…
- … or, you can make 6 regular-sized muffins, but this will double the calories and/or weight watchers point value.